Stirring Up Change In a Community Near You

Teen Battle Chef, is a program of FamilyCook Productions in over 75 schools and community sites across the U.S. Over half are sponsored in high schools by HealthCorps. This blog began in summer 2010 when FamilyCook invited NYC Teen Battle Chefs to participate in internships working with chefs in restaurants, teaching younger children cooking, growing food in food deserts, and cooking in farmers markets across 5 boroughs. In fall 2010, our program continues and thanks to Robin Quivers, her run in the NYC Marathon in November, will provide critical funding so our Teen Battle Chef programs in CT and in HealthCorps schools in NJ can experience these transformational internships as well.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Reflections from week 1 of my restaurant internship!

Kristie is interning with the delicious vegan restaurant, Candle Cafe. "I am not a vegan. I love meat and always will. Working in a vegan restaurant is interesting. I like the freshness of the food and drinks. I'm also learning how difficult running a restaurant really is. I like doing both sides to a restaurant, the cooking and the paper work." - Kristie


"Hey, it’s me Henfry, and Friday July 16th, was my first day working at Jimmy’s 43, located at 43 East 7th Street. The people at the restaurant are really nice, everyone gets along with each other, and knows what they are doing. They began to teach me how the restaurant is run, how they get their supply in order, and where the knives, pots and pans belong for quick and easy use. On my first day I learned a new way of holding the knife and the way to keep your hands secure from any danger of cutting yourself. I minced onions for the summer bean salad (which people really love to order). I got my hands dirty combining potatoes with creme fraiche, it was fun. It was like making dough, but everything all soft and slippery. And at the end of the day, my shirt was dirty and I smelled like all different types of food. I know I did a good job because I got right down to work and had fun with it and I’ll keep on learning how to run a restaurant and get information on picking a good college with the help of my chef and boss. So readers, pass by and check out this really nice restaurant you won’t be disappointed =)"

No comments:

Post a Comment