Stirring Up Change In a Community Near You

Teen Battle Chef, is a program of FamilyCook Productions in over 75 schools and community sites across the U.S. Over half are sponsored in high schools by HealthCorps. This blog began in summer 2010 when FamilyCook invited NYC Teen Battle Chefs to participate in internships working with chefs in restaurants, teaching younger children cooking, growing food in food deserts, and cooking in farmers markets across 5 boroughs. In fall 2010, our program continues and thanks to Robin Quivers, her run in the NYC Marathon in November, will provide critical funding so our Teen Battle Chef programs in CT and in HealthCorps schools in NJ can experience these transformational internships as well.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

TIC Intern Training


The Teen Iron Chef Intern training day was a lot of fun! Everyone tried raw vegetables and we had to guess what the name of the vegetable was, in an exercise called Veggie ID - you should try it! A lot of the raw vegetables (even ones I had never tried before) were pretty good. I even had edible flowers! Further more, the TIC crew was able to come up with a mission statement that defined us together as a team. I also shared a sandwich with Hayden, one of the TIC mentors, that my mom made for me and I was happy that she enjoyed the new Pakistani food. =) More so, we also made recipes and I tried some new food of my own, like Panzanella (Italian bread, cucumber, tomato, and olive) salad! Even though the day was long, we ended our day with a "SALUD", cheering "to health" after each of us declared what we hoped to accomplish in the TIC internship. It was nice to meet everyone and my mentors (Hayden and Jessica) are really nice. This experience has been a lot of fun and had made me really excited to work and bring out health awareness to the world and show people what there missing! Remember, take care of your body so that it can take care of you!

- Sira Faizi

"Wow you can learn so much in one day. This meeting was so much fun and it was the first time we got to cook in front of each other. Well, I did learn new recipes but I mostly learned a lot from my fellow Teen Iron Chefs while they were explaining what they were cooking. I was laughing so hard when some people were scared to eat edible flowers. They looked terrified but they liked it once they tried. Meeting the people from the farmers market was really fun; they were really cool." - Andrea



No comments:

Post a Comment