Stirring Up Change In a Community Near You

Teen Battle Chef, is a program of FamilyCook Productions in over 75 schools and community sites across the U.S. Over half are sponsored in high schools by HealthCorps. This blog began in summer 2010 when FamilyCook invited NYC Teen Battle Chefs to participate in internships working with chefs in restaurants, teaching younger children cooking, growing food in food deserts, and cooking in farmers markets across 5 boroughs. In fall 2010, our program continues and thanks to Robin Quivers, her run in the NYC Marathon in November, will provide critical funding so our Teen Battle Chef programs in CT and in HealthCorps schools in NJ can experience these transformational internships as well.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Teen Battle Chef Whole Foods Show Down October 9th




Dr. Oz
 
Today was awesome!! My team (Raspberries) made this silky creamy butternut squash soup. I loved it and so did the judges. We got these wonderful prizes and i can't wait to put them to use. What really made my day was Dr. Oz saying "I'm proud of you" -Chef Janiel

 Today was the first of many Whole Food competitions this fall. It was so exciting meeting Dr. Oz and meeting the judges and presening in front of all those people. They were really encouraging and having my family and friends there made me feel a bit less nervous too. All the prep and pre-made food, pretending to cook, plating and presenting the food, it really felt like a real cooking show, like Emeril Live or something...I felt like Emeril!! It was all really enjoyable, and it turned out perfect. Oh, and winning the presentation part over Molly, my usual partner, (of all people!) felt good too lol. I wouldn't do it any other way and I can't wait for the others. -Chef Joel
This is my first time behind the counter working with the teams. This experience was really cool. I ws the MC for the first event and doing this is really nice. I like doing different things in the TBC program. The judges gave really nice feedback that I will take with me. I really can't wait to do this again. -Chef Kristie

Beautiful things happened today. I haven't been this close to food in a long time! I love Teen Battle Chef! Thank you so much for bringing more cooking into my life! "If all else fails...cook!" -Chef Matthew

This experience was nothing like I expected. The turnout of people was great, meeting Dr. Oz was cool and the judges were awesome. I was on Team Raspberry, we made the Butternut Squash soup and I think it came out amazing. I definitely look forward to participating at other Whole Food Events. -Chef Ayerine



Today was so much fun. I enjoyed meeting Dr. Oz and working together in a group with other people. I will most definitely make the Quesadilla at home. -Chef Fatimah








If I had one word to describe today I would have to say everyhing was perfect! AHHH how do I forget meeting Dr. Oz! So amazing working with my fellow TBC's to educate the people of our neighborhood. Overall I'm just really happy and today was a great day. -Chef Molly

Chef Michael Team Blueberry

Chef Andrea Team Blueberry

No comments:

Post a Comment